Sunday, February 17, 2013

January 2013 Wrap

Well that's a wrap for January!

Cypress Grill takeout was a real hit with our showing of the Rescuers! We ate so fast that we weren't even out of New York yet when we finished our Louisiana food! By the time we were in the Bayou, we were already stuffed and sipping on our beverages (yes, I did make the cocktail, but I skipped the vodka and used club soda). And there was chamomile tea with our delicious bread pudding. I'm so glad we did the takeout, because on short notice it really helped with the authenticity of the experience.

We were enjoying ourselves so much that we went ahead and continued by watching The Rescuers Down Under! So our very first drafthouse night was a Disney Double Feature! Amazing what 13 years can do for film quality, with the bright and beautiful lighting, coloring, and linework, the introduction of some 3d elements, and the tighter pacing of the story. And damn I love that eagle. I still can totally feel it when the boy gets thrown off the cliff, plummeting to his would-be death, and then the eagle dives down to rescue him. I forgot that was in the very beginning, and what an opener! Instantaneous love. The Rescuers is great, but it's definitely old-fashioned, which I totally enjoy and it has its place, but wow, Down Under is such a huge leap in the emotional, adventurous journey and spectrum of empathy presented. Love, love, love it. Totally brings me back to my childhood, feeling connected to nature and the idea that we can communicate with animals. Love the story, and the animation is beautiful of course.


See you at the next Drafthouse night!

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment