Thursday, January 24, 2013

The Rescuers

  • The Film: The Rescuers (1977)
  • The Date: Friday, 1/25/13 at 8pm scratch that, RIGHT NOW.
  • The Feast: Cypress Grill Takeout
This was a great Disney film from my childhood. I love the worldly Manhattan mice that go for an adventure down south to save a little girl. It has been forever since I've seen it, so I don't recall any particular foods the characters ate offhand, but the film is set first in New York and then in the Bayou, so it seemed appropriate to take dinner cues from (where else) The Bayou Restaurant in New York, ha!

Of course the first thing we imagined was crawfish. I'm a little funny about prepping my own, so I considered running over to our local Louisiana style eatery called Cypress Grill. We've been there once and liked it a lot. In fact I don't know why we haven't been back there. We both had the Crawfish Delight – Half Etouffée, half crispy battered crawfish tails, served with white rice. $13.99. It was really delicious.

After a few IMs back and forth, we decided that rather than cooking up our own food, for this first installation of Our Drafthouse, we would go ahead and order up some delicious dishes from the Grill. We also decided we couldn't wait to do this tomorrow just to make it a Friday night date.

So it's tonight, a Thursday date, 1/24/13 at 8pm. Pickup at the Grill is at 7:20. We have ordered the following:
  • Crawfish Eggrolls – Our signature starter! Tender crawfish tails, cheddar jack and zesty jalapenos in a crispy egg roll wrapper, served with our homemade chipotle ranch. ($8.99)
  • Creole Blackened Catfish – Fillet of domestic catfish, seasoned with our blackening seasoning and seared on a hot skillet and topped with Gulf shrimp in our zesty Creole sauce, served over dirty rice with a choice of one side. Which, for us, will be Fried Okra. And Garlic Bread. Yum. ($13.99)
  • Bread Pudding – Uncomplicated bliss served with bourbon sauce. ($5.49)
As for beverages, I'm going to see if I can whip up a cheap version of Bobby Flay's Raspberry Basil Limoncello Cocktail using the ingredients currently in my kitchen. The real deal calls for raspberries (I have frozen), basil (I have fresh), a lemon (I have juice), simple syrup (I can boil some up really quick), Limoncello (I have some from a party several months ago, think it's still good? LOL), vodka (I do have some unopened that I won at a Halloween costume party last year – I attended as Leslie Knope 2012), ice (duh), and sparkling rose wine (I don't think I have any, but I probably have some club soda that could work fine). As an alternative, we do have one or two bottles left of Blackberry Pear Fox Barrel Cider, which would probably be just as good if not better, and not as boozy. That's probably the way to go, children's movie and all. ;)


Sooo excited...

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment